When ShimmerTeen was just an idea, when we were sitting around a kitchen table with a bunch of laptops, Katy Perry music, and iced tea, we decided that this was one of the articles that we absolutely HAD to write. Why? Because the cosmetic world is nuts, and you need to know about it.
For a lot of us, our daily feel-good, look-good routines include tons of beauty products. Toothpaste. Hand soap. Body wash. Shampoo. Conditioner. Deodorant. Body lotion. Face wash. Exfoliant. Toner. Facial Moisturizer. Hand Sanitizer. Hair Gel. Hairspray, Anti-frizz balm. Anti-curl balm. Foundation. Eye shadow. Bronzer. Lightener. Mascara…You get the picture.
Given the major role these prolific products play in our lives, we figure it’s a Must to know a thing or two about just what we’re putting in, on, and around our faces.
Here are 7 facts that blow us away about beauty products. Think about them next time you refresh your beauty routine:
1. According to a survey by the Environmental Working Group, people use an average of 9 beauty products daily which in total, contain 126 different ingredients!
2. We absorb many personal care products through our pores, affecting our bodies just like certain foods, liquids, and drugs.
3. Unlike food, drink, and drugs, beauty products do not go through an FDA approval process (Ah!). There are only a couple of things including certain color compounds that cosmetics companies are forbidden to put in their products.
4. Many cosmetics contribute to health issues like hormonal imbalances and more, the long-term health effects of many cosmetic ingredients are unknown, and you will rarely hear or receive a warning about what your make-up could do to your body.
5. The FDA does not have the authority to take these harmful products off the market.
6. Hundreds of products sold in the U.S. contain ingredients banned in cosmetics in other countries including Japan and the European Union. Over 1100 chemicals are banned for use in European cosmetics. Fewer than 20 are outlawed in the U.S.
7. And how far does this lack of regulation go? Many lipsticks contain traces of lead, a known harmful metal that most people think was outlawed hundreds of years ago.
So, thinking about detoxifying your beauty routine? Pick up some tips like tossing lipsticks that are still living in the middle ages learning what chemicals are doing more harm than good.